Gentlemen, if you have hair on the scalp, respect it because some of us are now stressing over bald patches. However, there are solutions for all types of hair types.
It’s somewhat disappointing how we are crazy about gels, pomades, and wax and barely think of improving the hair quality. The best shampoos for men are necessary to improve the overall strength of your hair. They also take care of them to prevent any further damage.
Unless you see a few strands of hair lying on the bathroom floor or go crazy with dandruff, you hardly care. Men usually ignore the important problems until its too late. You no longer need to worry as i have the top reviews of some top-class shampoos for you.
Achieving a healthy set of hair starts with your shampoo. Choose the best shampoo for men, and most of your hair care routine ends there.
Long, short, oily, dry, dandruff or hair fall—there is a solution. You will find a suitable shampoo for each type of hair.
Now, most of us are lazy or simply are unable to find the time to scroll page after page. If that is so, I have listed 12 best shampoos for men that are currently my favorite.
Choosing the Best Shampoo for Men
Many men just prefer a name, a shampoo that works!
The only way to decide the best shampoo for your hair type is to know and understand your hair and its problems.
There are many different types of shampoos. You will easily find the best shampoo for men’s hair loss looking at the ingredients.
I will try to make it as simple as possible. Starting from the basics—the scalp. You can also find specific information on the best shampoo for men Reddit page.
If you have oily skin, there are high chances that you have an oily scalp too. No matter how much shampoo you use, your hair becomes greasy within a day or two.
You may also notice some waxy flakes around your scalp. It happens because of overly activated sebaceous glands. And it’s pretty common.
You need to stay far away from shampoos that are marketed as moisturizing, hydrating, deep conditioning, etc.
These are mostly oil-based shampoos that will bring more moisture in your forever greasy hair.
Reach out for shampoos that are sold as “volumizing,” “balancing,” or “rebalancing.”
You can go to “clarifying” shampoos too. Not meant for everyday use but removed the oil and grease effectively.
** Take the time to build up a lather and massage the shampoo deep into the scalp. Use conditioner only from mid-length to the tips.
Dry scalp is a result of inactive sebum glands. It makes your hair look lifeless, dry from root to the tips. Curly hair, split ends, hair breakage are some of the common sufferings that you know too well. If you have an extremely dry scalp, you can have an itchy scalp and excessive dandruff that looks like white powder.
DO NOT ever buy shampoos that are labeled as volumizing, fortifying, or the ones which contain sulfates. They will take away the smallest amount of moisture from your hair.
If you have little dryness, it means your scalp doesn’t itch and doesn’t give off too much dandruff.
A shampoo with moisturizing or hydrating properties is a good fit for your hair type.
Say thanks to your mom and dad because you are blessed! Your hair falls in the middle of the two types–neither dry nor oily. It can feel a bit greasy in the summers and frizzy in the winters, but on other days, your hair is pretty manageable.
You should must keep your hair well-balanced. Choose a balancing shampoo that both cleans and moisturizes.
Or choose a strengthening shampoo with natural ingredients.
What are the Common Hair Problems?
If you are still confused, I will break this down further. You must have some specific problems or symptoms.
Thin Hair/Hair Loss
There is a very subtle difference in thin hair and hair loss. You can have naturally thin hair.
The remedy is an excellent volumizing shampoo.
Whereas if you are suffering from premature hair loss, pick up a shampoo that has antioxidants such as Vitamin E, Vitamin B or Biotin, amino acids, etc.
Avoid shampoos in any case that contain sulfates, parabens, fragrances, etc.
Damaged hair means you have all the problems related to hair. Breakage, split ends dullness, fine and coarse hair, hair falls, and maybe more.
Pollution, UV rays, the highlighting you did last year being over-excited are the ones to blame here!
Your hair needs deep nourishment. Pick up shampoos that contain a lot of natural oils. Such as Argan oil, Jojoba oil, Macadamia oil, Keratin (very important), Vitamins, Collagen, Glycerine, etc.
Try to stick to natural ingredients. And please no more dying hair.
If nourishing and conditioning aren’t helping in fighting that stubborn dandruff, you need a harsh treatment.
Choose a shampoo that is exclusively made for treating dandruff.
If you are not sure, look at the ingredients and see if it contains any of these — Salicylic Acid, Ketoconazole, Zinc pyrithione, Selenium sulfide or Coal tar.
Chemically Treated Hair
Chemically treated hair needs special care.
If you enjoy dying your hair always use a colour protectant shampoo.
If you have done straightening or smoothening, ask your hairstylist. Or you can consult a dermatologist if you are experiencing hair fall or itchy scalp.
The Right Ingredients: What Do They Bring?
You need to be careful at this part because certain ingredients are not suitable for specific hair types. Some ingredients are better if avoided. All types of shampoos including the best shampoo for men’s hair loss have these ingredients. Some of the best natural ingredients that you can find in shampoos are-
- Coconut oil : Enriched with Vitamin E and moisturizers. Good for all hair types
- Aloe Vera : Removes dead skin cells from the scalp. Prevents dandruff and itchiness
- Keratin : A hair protein that strengthens hair cuticles. Best for weak and damaged hair
- Shea butter : Deep moisturizing element with lots of vitamins and fats
- Carnitine : Strengthens fine hair and prevents hair loss
- Ceramides : These are lipids that coat the cuticles of damaged hair
- Glycerine : Excellent moisturizer
- Argan oil : Prevents split ends and makes hair stronger
- Moroccan oil : Fights frizzy hair and dandruff
- Jojoba oil : Rejuvenates and promotes hair growth
- Seaweed : Controls oiliness on the scalp
- Tea tree oil : Unclogs hair follicles and provides deep nourishment to the roots
Ingredients to Avoid in The Best Shampoo For Men
Some of these chemicals are found in most shampoos. The only way to avoid them is to go all-natural.
But since we want faster results (including me), you have to deal with some of these (not all)!
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphates and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS): Found in 90% of hair care products.
- Which removes essential oils.
- Alcohol: Found in many shampoos. Sucks moisture out of hair
- Parabens: Causes skin irritation and hormonal imbalance
- Triclosan: Very harmful. Disrupts hormonal functions. Causes infertility, depression and weight gain
- Diethanolamine (DEA), triethanolamine (TEA): Skin irritation, allergic reactions
- Dimethicone: Clogs pores and produces greasy roots. Sometimes causes itchiness and burning sensations.
** Select according to your hair type. If you have very damaged hair stay away from SLS. And if you are someone with sensitive skin—go natural!
Best Shampoo For Men (List and Reviews)
If anyone asks me now, ‘what shampoo do you suggest?’ and if I was given only one choice, I would recommend you the Krieger & Sohne quality men’s shampoo
This is an all-in-one shampoo that might work for almost any hair type.
The main formula of this shampoo is tea tree oil, which has therapeutic and medicinal benefits. It’s best known for having anti fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory qualities.
I suffered from severe dandruff and itchy scalp, and this gave me some relief after 2-3 washes.
The conditioner has peppermint oil in it. With every wash, you can feel that kick of freshness. However, some of you might not like its strong aromatic smell.
I personally liked the smell, and it is quite long-lasting.
The other ingredients of the K+S men’s shampoo include:
- Peppermint Oil,
- Wheat Amino Acids,
- Citric Acid, which repairs, relaxes, and nourishes your hair.
It’s not an all-natural shampoo, but it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals and preservatives.
It’s also suitable for everyday use and a great alternative to those expensive treatments.
Features That Makes This The Best Shampoo For Men
- Suitable for all hair types
- Medicinal benefits of tea tree oil
- Relieves dandruff, itchy scalp, Psoriasis, and any scalp related infections
- Soothes your scalp, improves blood flow and relieves stress
- No harmful additives
- It smells like mints, and it’s quite strong. So, if you are sensitive to strong smells, maybe it is not your best choice.
- The bottles— I am not saying that the packing is terrible, but the conditioner is too thick to come out. They could have used a different type of bottle.
If you have searched for shampoos before, you must have heard of, ‘Olaplex.’ If not, then let me tell you, too many hair experts suggest Olaplex Bond Maintenance Shampoo for damaged hair, especially the color-treated one.
This shampoo is full of ingredients that promise to transform your hair quality gradually. This is also one of the best shampoos for color-treated hair.
If you have recently bleached or dyed your hair, spend some bucks on maintaining and protecting it— sounds wise!
It’s full of healing oils such as – Camellia seed oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Sunflower seed oil, and Rosemary essentials.
With such ingredients, it restores the protein bonds in your hair, prevents hair breakage, controls frizz, and limits split ends.
Free of sulfate and parabens, it’s also suitable for people with sensitive skin or itchy scalp. This shampoo is recommended for any type of hair. It comes in a small bottle, but a little goes a long way.
Fans call it salon-at-home. Don’t know about that, but if you have any kind of hair damage, breakage, frizziness, hair that is out of your control, you can trust Olaplex.
It is not rated 4.4 for no reason.
- Excellent for dry, damaged, brittle hair
- Controls frizz, flyaways
- Protects colored hair
- Sulfate, paraben free-suitable for sensitive scalp
- Enriched with moisturizing oils
- Expensive-this is an expensive shampoo, so think twice.
- If you already have healthy hair, I do not recommend it. You have to follow it up with the conditioner to see the results — otherwise, no use.
- If you have like really very oily scalp, it can make it look greasy. In that case, apply the shampoo on the lengths only and wash your scalp with an oil control shampoo- like
PURA D’OR is an all-natural Organic shampoo, and it is immensely popular in men with fine hair and hair loss.
What makes it the best natural shampoo for men?
Well, it has a long list of ingredients, and that seems to really work. First of all, it has Biotin- vitamin B-complex, which is scientifically proven to be associated with hair regrowth.
And then it has 17 DHT Blockers (DHT or Dihydrotestosterone, a prime factor causing male pattern hair loss). They limit hair loss by balancing the DHT level in your scalp.
Okay! That was for treating hair loss. Even if you don’t suffer from hair loss, you can give your hair some organic love.
PURA D’OR shampoo is infused with 24 exotic plant extracts that improve your overall hair quality.
I don’t want to take much of your time with a long list and names here. You can have a quick look here find the names here.
Aloe Vera, Seaweed, Vitamin E, Argan Oil is excellent for treating breakage, controlling oiliness, and repairing hair damage.
I cannot say that it removes dandruff completely. But it has tea tree oil, zink, and Alma fruit extracts, which can prevent seasonal dandruff.
This shampoo is for both men and women. No! You won’t smell feminine. It smells very fresh and mild and not at all girly.
- Clinically proven hair regrowth
- All-natural, vegan, cruelty-free shampoo
- Infused with 24 rare and exotic plant extracts
- Contains biotin and nettle extract (DHT blockers)
- Gluten-free, hypoallergenic
- It can make hair a little dry. Not recommended for frizzy hair. It’s a fortifying and volumizing shampoo that can make frizzy hair look like fluff.
- It doesn’t have a lasting smell. In fact, the scent is barely detectable.
Sweating is one of the reasons behind dandruff, itchy scalp, and hair loss. You need an effective everyday shampoo.
The KICK Men’s shampoo is made for the runners, athletes, and fitness lovers who cannot go without sweating.
The shampoo has the goodness of Peppermint oil and therapeutic Tea Tree oil. They control sweating on the scalp, reduces dandruff, redness, and leaves your hair smell minty fresh.
It has 11 botanical extracts, including Aloe Vera, Eucalyptus oil, Rosemary, Lavender oil, etc. These increase blood flow, hydrate, and revive scalp’s health.
What’s more, is that KICK is a color-safe shampoo. Unlike other dandruff shampoos, it’s free of SLS, parabens and harmful chemicals.
This is one of the most wanted dandruff shampoos in the market. It says that it stimulates hair growth (I highly doubt that). Still, it’s good for your hair’s overall health.
This one is a cheaper option over K+S Men’s Shampoo! I say it’s a bang for the buck.
- Best as an anti-dandruff shampoo
- Has Tea tree oil and Peppermint oil
- Improves blood flow and treats itchy scalp
- Cruelty-free, SLS and paraben-free, colour safe
- Affordable and effective
- If you have healthy normal hair with seasonal dandruff, you don’t need this. This shampoo is too tough for normal healthy hair.
We always prefer things that are low-maintenance and easy to use. And what can be better than a Bar Shampoo infused with all-natural ingredients?
Ethique Bar Shampoo is 100% soap-free, chemically free, and cruelty-free.
Ethique is working on reducing plastic use by eliminating the bottles.
These solid travel-friendly shampoo bars are perfect for someone who is always on the go: no heavy packaging, no chances of leakage and wastage.
My favorite is Ethique Frizz Wrangler. As I am constantly traveling, I use it a lot. It is also the best men’s shampoo for thinning hair
It has coconut oil and cocoa butter—two extremely rich moisturizing agents that are great for dry and frizzy hair. It has a very mild and herbal scent, which lingers all day.
There are 8 other varieties available — each with different benefits, scents, and colors. The choice is truly yours.
While the packaging looks pretty cute, don’t think it doesn’t clean or leave hair dried out.
It cleans your scalp right from the roots and hydrates well. (Choose according to your hair type).
Choosing a bar shampoo over a bottled one is an entirely personal choice. If you haven’t tried one yet—try it once! I am sure you will be happy you did!
- Eco-friendly packaging
- No harmful chemicals
- Cruelty-free, free of soap
- Available in 8 different variations
- Good for sensitive scalps
- Adjusting with a bar shampoo takes time. It lathers well, but you have to scrub it hard on your scalp.
- Soap wastage- like any other bar shampoo, it also wastes. Always keep it in a dry container.
If I am not wrong, most of you guys are after hair regrowth and anti-dandruff shampoos because these are the two most common issues found in men.
So, I have kept one option for everyone from different price ranges!
All Biotin shampoos are affordable yet effective. In fact, it has 4.3-star ratings by more than 2000 customers.
The shampoo relies on a few potent ingredients. The two anti-thinning ingredients are Biotin and DHT(Dihydrotestosterone), blocking botanicals.
Biotin strengthens weak hair floccules, and DHT blocking agents washes away the impurities that cause hair loss. Ultimately you get stronger and healthier hair.
Coming to the next problem, dandruff, it has mixed tea tree oil in the solution. Tea tree oil helps in healing itchy scalp, dandruff, and controls oiliness.
The shampoo formula also includes antioxidant-rich moisturizers (Argan oil, coconut oil, Olive oil). And organic oils (Rosemary oil, Jojoba oil) that improve elasticity and protects hair collagen.
If you are looking for an affordable hair-growth shampoo, go try out Biotin shampoo.
I am not a fan of the smell. Many people like it, though. However, it doesn’t stay long, so it doesn’t matter anyway.
Oh! I almost forgot; it is colour safe, SLS free, paraben-free, and silicone-free.
- Biotin promotes hair growth
- Medicinal benefits of tea tree oil
- Blocks DHT on the scalp
- Removes dandruff and itchy scalp
- Sulfate free colour safe shampoo
- It contains fragrance
- Some people are not fond of the scent
If you are experiencing severe hair loss, damage, breakage all at the same time, you might want to invest in a premium quality shampoo like the Pure Biology Hair Growth Shampoo.
This shampoo is the most expensive of all on the list, also the highest rated hair growth shampoo.
Pure Biology Hair Growth Shampoo has a rating of 4.6 by more than a thousand customers.
Looking at the ingredients, I see everything that is required to grow new hairs and restore old damaged hair.
It contains Biotin, Castor Oil that promotes hair growth. And a very rare ingredient called Procapil that targets and blocks alopecia causing hormones.
Have damaged your hair too?
It has Keratin (a protein found in hair) that penetrates deep into the hair cuticle to restore healthy hair. And Vit E, Vit B, Coconut oil, olive oil for moisturizing scalp, and adding natural sheen.
The only reason not to like this product is the presence of SLS (Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Chloride). It’s not good for sensitive scalps and colored hair.
Otherwise, it’s a hit!
- Prevents hair fall, hair damage, breakage
- Has Biotin, Keratin, Castor oil
- Has a pleasant smell
- Excellent customer ratings
- It contains SLS. They are found in 90% of hair care products. But it’s better to avoid if you have frizzy, dry, damaged hair. Otherwise, it can cause itchiness.
- Doesn’t work with dandruff- unlike other anti-thinning shampoos (Biotin shampoo and PURA D’OR), it cannot prevent dandruff.
If you are a regular user of heavy gels, waxes a simple everyday shampoo may not be enough for you. You might need a build-up removal shampoo like the Old Spice—Old and Classic.
Build up removal shampoos are meant to be strong. One of its key ingredients is volcanic charcoal that attracts and binds with dirt, grime, and washes off every bit of them.
It lathers really well and leaves the hair squeaky clean after a single wash. And the best part is it doesn’t leave your hair all dried up like other build removal shampoos.
Even if your scalp tends to be on the oilier side, you can use it once a week.
The shampoo smells exactly how a man should smell- a bit woodsy and a hint of mint.
All in all, it’s an incredibly good-smelling effective build removal shampoo. And looking at its price tag—it’s too good to overlook!
- Contains active charcoal
- Makes your hair squeaky clean
- Lathers well and little goes a long way
- Smells masculine
- Good for the oily scalp too
- It contains SLS and alcohol which can make hair dry if you follow up with a conditioner
- People with itchy scalp, eczema or with any type of skin allergies shouldn’t be using this shampoo
Ah! You were looking for this—the old 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner.
I’m not a huge fan of these (I need a separate conditioner for my extremely dry hair). But I might have got the best one for you.
Dove 2-in-1 shampoo & conditioner falls in the volumizing and fortifying category. Even though it is a twin product, It is the best men’s conditioner.
If you are concerned about how your fine hair becomes greasy throughout the day, then this shampoo might boost your confidence level.
Instead of using a lot of expensive chemical ingredients, Dove has introduced Oxycharge technology, which targets stress—one of the unknown reasons behind hair loss.
It has mixed caffeine with calcium. Caffeine relaxes the scalp muscles improving blood circulation, and releases stress, and calcium makes the root stronger.
It also has Citric Acid that removes oiliness, builds up, and seasonal dandruff.
Let me tell you; it is the most affordable and top-rated volumizing shampoo for fine, thin, and oily hair.
Compared to other products on the list—Dove 2-in-1 shampoo gives the best value for money.
- Increases volume
- Promotes hair growth
- Reduces stress and improves blood flow
- 2-in-1 shampoo takes little time in the bathroom
- The shampoo contains sodium Laureth Sulphate that is harmful to scalps with infections and allergies
- This affordable shampoo doesn’t promise hair growth, but it is indeed a perfect fortifying shampoo
New York Biology Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo And Conditioner – Best Men’s Shampoo for Dry Hair
The Argan Oil Shampoo by New York Biology might be the perfect everyday use shampoo for your normal to dry hair.
Shockingly this shampoo has 4.8 ratings. And honestly, there is almost nothing to dislike in this shampoo.
The main formula of this shampoo includes Argan oil and Keratin.
Argan oil is a healing oil that is known for centuries for its rejuvenating and damage repairing capabilities. It is known to be the best men’s shampoo for dry hair.
Keratin, on the other hand, the main hair building component works on making hair stronger and brings back the natural shine.
Beyond these two key ingredients, it also has 5 essential oils (Avocado oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, camellia seed oil). They nourish the scalp and balances the sweat and oil secretion.
If you use a lot of hair styling products and tools, then adding an everyday shampoo to your regime is a must.
It’s sold as suitable for both men and women. Don’t feel awkward! It doesn’t have a feminine scent.
Oh! And it has a non-irritant formula. And it’s completely free of sulfates and other harmful chemicals.
- Infused with Argan Oil and Keratin
- Strengthens hair and repairs damage
- 5 botanical healing oils deeply nourish the scalp
- An excellent choice for everyday use
- Sold as suitable for any hair type, which is true if you shampoo your hair every other day. Otherwise, this oil-based shampoo can be too moisturizing for an already oily scalp.
While being relatively new in the market, the ProBliva DTH blocker shampoo seems to really work for most of the men struggling with hair fall.
The bottle has DHT blockers, Kapilarine (a synergic solution of 4 plant extracts that combats hair loss), and pro-vitamin B5.
But what’s more to love is that the shampoo also includes hydrating, hair strengthening, and medicinal properties.
The list of ingredients is worth praising. I mean, what isn’t there? It should work for all hair related problems.
It contains Keratin, Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil, Collagen, Green tea extracts, which strengthens and improves hair quality by adding a natural sheen to it. It also controls oil and sweating and relieves itchy scalp by incorporating Zinc PCA complex to the formula.
This product is primarily sold as an anti-hair thinning shampoo for men and women, but it is so much more than that.
Overall, if you want to try a new shampoo- go give it a try! It is 4.8 rated by its users.
Oh! And it’s made in the USA.
- Has Kapilarin hair growth stimulator
- Has multiple moisturizing properties
- Contains Keratin and Vitamin B5
- Fights dandruff and itchy scalp
- Controls oil and sweating on the scalp
- The complete ingredient list is not given in the product description box, so I cannot tell you if it contains any sulfates or parabens.
So, this was all. Did you manage to find the best shampoo for men for yourself? If yes, then congratulations.Go give it a try and write in the comment box how your experience was.
The K+S Men’s salon shampoo is currently my favorite shampoo and it works for almost any hair type. It hits you with invigorating energy, which comes from Tea tree and Peppermint oil. It also gives relief from stress, dandruff, itchy scalp, redness, and scalp related issues.
The best part is, it is a shampoo and hair conditioner package, which is a big bang for the buck! Even if you don’t like the shampoo, there are chances to get your money back!